November 7 2009 – Westminster Central Hall – London.
Jobs, Justice, Climate – Alternatives to the G20 – Book NOW!
In March, we marched in our tens of thousands to demand the G20 Put People First. Far from putting people first we’ve seen nothing but a tinkering around the margins followed by the return to business as usual.
On Nov 7, as the G20 returns to the UK, the agenda on the table nurses an already failed economic model back to life, whilst looking to sew up an international climate deal of unprecedented urgency.
They bailed out the banks to the tune of billions, and now the only choice offered is between what cuts are made to pay for it.
Government intervention to create a Green New Deal is slipping off the agenda, and yet strong alliances are forming – environmentalists and trade unionists have been standing side by side at Vestas to save the UK’s largest wind turbine factory.
- In the run up to Copenhagen, how do we get a global agreement on climate that truly puts climate justice at its heart?
- How do we respond to the jobs crisis and growing poverty around the world
- How do we ensure the global green new deal the world needs?
- How we do we show that cuts are not the only option, and demonstrate what Putting People First really look like?
This counter-conference will bring together academics, activists, campaigners, unions, policy makers and YOU to share ideas on what the alternatives are to cuts, cuts and more cuts, and how we must organise across our issues, of jobs, justice and climate, to make the alternative the reality.
- Sarah-Jayne Clifton, Friends of the Earth
- Jon Cruddas MP
- Deborah Doane, World Development Movement
- Diane Elson, University of Essex
- Jesse Griffiths, Bretton Woods Project
- Noel Hatch, Compass Youth
- Billy Hayes, CWU
- John Hilary, War on Want
- Catherine Howarth, FairPensions
- Tony Juniper, Princes Rainforests Projects
- Neal Lawson, Compass
- Larry Lohman, The Corner House
- Caroline Lucas MEP
- Poul Nyrup Rasmussen MEP
- Andrew Simms, New Economics Foundation
- Glen Tarman, BOND
- Hilary Wainwright, Red Pepper
- Mel Whitter, UNITE
Book your FREE place now for an inspirational day of discussion and organising and help spread the word:
- Register for the counter conference
- Download the conference agenda (pdf)
- Download the conference flyer
- Join us on Facebook
The conference is supported by: ActionAid, Action for a Global Climate Community, BOND, BrettonWoods Project, Change is Coming, Compass, Ekklesia, Fairtrade Foundation, Friends of the Earth, Global Call to Action Against Poverty, GMB, Helpage International, Jubilee Scotland, Jubilee Debt Campaign, National Union of Teachers, New Economics Foundation, New Internationalist, People and Planet, Progressio, Stop AIDS Campaign, Stop Climate Chaos, Stamp out Poverty, TUC, UNISON, WILPF, World Development, Movement, War on Want, WWF
October 21st, 2009